This is part of a weekly series, every Friday you’ll find “The Week That Was” featuring the best posts I found, covering all aspects of digital marketing, web design, SEO, Social Media, Web Analytics and hopefully you’ll find some humor thrown in for good measure as well. (Unfortunately none this week)
I share my favorite posts through Twitter on a daily basis via @VertusCraig on on our Facebook Page
Web Design – WordPress
- How to secure WordPress: 4 Tips to Better Protection – The first post on the Vertus Digital Blog – Four of the methods I use to secure my WordPress blogs.
- 15 great HTML5 and CSS3 generators – This collection of handy generators can save all you web designers & developers a good amount of time.
- Don’t Let Hackers Crash Your Blogging Party – Kikolani has even more ways to boost the security and keep the hackers away from your blog.
Search Engine Optimisation / SEO
- Perfecting On-Page Optimization for eCommerce Websites – A great post on the SEOmoz blog, going in to detail on optimisation of each individual element of an eCommerce web page.
- 4 tips for technical SEO – Good advice from the Portent blog if your new to Search Engine Optimisation, plus a free tool to check how will your web server is performing
- Google places now requesting business licences? – An interesting read on Mike Blumenthals local SEO blog, some individuals have been asked to provide business licences to verify their Google places listing, is it to combat spam?
- Anti-Penguin Link Building Plan – A recommended read if your website has been hit by the recent Google Penguin algorithm update, and hopefully a way to start your recovery.
- Explode your Keyword List for Link Building Magic – How to find the long tail keywords, a great guide to help get you started from John Doherty.
Social Media Marketing
- 5 Ways to Turn Twitter into Your Most Powerful Social Media Tool – 5 great tools to compliment Twitter from Jeff Bullas
- 100 Tips for Using Twitter for Coursework, Research and Building a Professional Network – You’ll defiantly find an idea on how to use twitter that you’d probably never thought off in this list of 100 Twitter tips.
- 5 Tips to Build and Grow Your LinkedIn Network – The link says it all, Social Media Examiner on how to build and grow your LinkedIn network.
- Facebook Edgerank: what marketers need to know – Every digital marketer and social media marketer should know what Facebook EdgeRank is. If you don’t check out this post from Econsultancy explaining what it is and whats changed with the recent Facebook updates.
- How to Use Facebook Ads: An Introduction – Social Media Examiner have a great introduction to Facebook ads, perfect for someone wanting to wet their feet in Facebook advertising.
Content Marketing / Blogging
- 5 Ways to Create Dead On Content – John Jantsch lets fly with ways to come up with new content.
- How to Become a Blogging Superstar – Find out what a blogging superstar is and learn how to become one on the SEOmoz blog.
- Pinterest: Top 100 Digital Marketing Boards – If you are looking for a digital marketing infographic, you’ll almost defiantly find what you’re after on this list of the top 100 Pinterest digital marketing boards.
- 7 Ways To Create Killer Content for Business Blogs – Heidi Cohen has 7 ways to come up with new content for your business blog, essential reading if you are struggling to come up with new ideas for your blog.
- Tools for Creating Editorial Calendars – Content Marketing is essential these days, as is an Editorial Calendar, good advice from John Doherty as usual.
- 4 Google Analytics Goal Types That Are Critical To Your Business – Kissmetrics step us through the different types of goals that we can set up on Google Analytics, and explain how to use them in our business for best effect.
- Discover Links Using Google Analytics New Backlink URL Report – A feature on Search Engine Land about the newest addition to Google Analytics, Backlink Reporting is coming soon!
Business Advice / General Marketing
- Advanced Landing Page Techniques – An explanation of the what are and the how to of customer / searcher personas from Search Engine Land, essential for segmenting you web traffic.
- Yahoo Looks to Help Small Biz With Marketing Dashboard – Is their hope for Yahoo after all, this looks interesting and useful.
- Pattern Break – Chris Brogan on breaking habits.
- Help Your Website Sell More: 11 Overlooked Page Elements That Drive Online Sales – More useful ways to improve your bottom line by optimising your website pages from the Kissmetrics blog.